The worlds largest pop-culture and comic book convention happened again this weekend as San Diego Comic Con premiered many details of the upcoming blockbusters from 2012 through 2014, here are some selected highlights.
- On a high from the massive success of Avengers Assemble, Marvel’s panel introduced phase two of The Avengers with a host of new titles including sequels for many members of The Avengers plus two entirely new comic book adaptations. Guardians of the Galaxy is a truly bold move by Marvel, as the most fantastical superhero team featuring Star-Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, Groot and lead by Rocket Raccoon will could possibly be battling Thanos (the mysterious villain introduced at the very end of Marvel’s The Avengers) in a CGI adventure coming 1st August 2014.
- Also for 2014 is the Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish adapted Ant-Man; about a hero who via a size-altering experiment can change size and communicate with insects. The cast is as yet un-revealed but promises to be a visual spectacle and “kick your ass one inch at a time”. Setting Ant-Man up to join The Avengers for their next team showdown estimated to happen sometime 2015.
- The Avengers main cast begin returning to big screens with Iron-Man 3 due 26th April ’13 and will see Robert Downey Jr. in the new gold & red Mk VIII armor (thats 8 different suits since Iron Man in 2008) versus Sir. Ben Kingsley playing Iron Man’s ultimate villain The Mandarin, a villain enhanced with alien technology that is more than a match for Stark Enterprises. Followed on 11th August 2013 as Chris Hemsworth’s Thor will explore the murkier reassesses of his home-world; the mystical Asgard, in Thor: The Dark World.
- Also due in 2014, which promises to be a huge year for Marvel is Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (April 4th 2014) which will see Capt’s best friend Bucky (we saw him perish in Captain America: The First Avenger) returning as a brainwashed Russian assassin. So while surprise hit of The Avengers; The Hulk has no upcoming movie insight his return has been promised to be on the way.
- It was revealed that Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel opening 14th June 2013 will feature its teaser trailer before this weekends opening blockbuster; The Dark Knight Rises.
- Sherlock Holmes actor Benedict Cumberbatch character in Star Trek 2 was confirmed as Gary Mitchell, while an unassuming name the character from Star Trek lore is an old classmate of Kirk’s who after an encounter with some cosmic radiation becomes a formidable enemy as a psychic powered god.
- 5 minutes of this Autumn’s Looper (28th September 2012) was shown to great reaction, as Joseph Gordon Levitt is a hit-man hired to kill himself (played by Bruce Willis) from the future.
- Shown in full to rave reaction was Dredd staring Karl Urban (McCoy, Star Trek) as the notorious law-enforcer in a new adaptation of the British comic book, and a reboot of the Sylvester Stallone staring 90s movie. It is said this interpretation is in keen with Paul Verhoeven’s ultra violent 80s movies, so expect Robocop and Total Recall levels of blood and body count.
- Neill Blomkamp follows up the praised District 9, with Elysium (1st March 2013). Set in 2154 and staring Matt Damon who has 5 days to live; the world is gripped by over-population, poverty, pollution and disease while the super-wealthy have established an off-planet world of which the rest of civilization are not invited, Jodie Foster co-stars as does District 9′s break-out star Sharlto Copley (The A-Team) returns as the movies bounty-hunter villain.
- Pacific Rim (July 13th 2013) directed by Guillermo del Toro and staring Idris Elba (Prometheus), Charlie Day (Horrible Bosses’) and Ron Perlman (Hell Boy/Drive) will pit giant monsters vs giant man made robots in a sci-fi adventure to save the world.
- Disney also had a big showing including Gore Verbinski’s The Lone Ranger (2013) with Armie Hammer as the title character and Johnny Depp as Tonto. A trailer was released for Sam Raimi’s OZ: The Great and The Powerful, a Wizard of Oz prequel which isn’t Wicked (thats coming 2014) staring James Franco as the magician OZ, while the three witches are played by Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis and Rachel Weisz. There was also a panel for this Winter’s Wreck-It-Ralph (brilliantly the videogame version of Toy Story) directed by Rich Moore (The Simpsons) where it was confirmed the films soundtrack by Skrillex.
Trailer – OZ: The Great and The Powerful
Ben Loom @stronglook