Returning with chapter eight in the Toolroom Records’ Selector series, Dave Seaman is challenged with singling out a handful of favourites from the ever-growing Toolroom back catalogue and assembling them into one seamless mix.
Stated as being one of the original pioneers of house music, Dave Seaman has an impressive history, having been the first editor of Mixmag and having remixed and produced for an array of artists, including U2, Kylie Minogue, David Bowie and the Pet Shop Boys. He has also completed over twenty mix compilations for the likes of Global Underground and Renaissance and has set up independent dance music labels like Stress Records and Audio Therapy. All this, as well as touring and working on his own productions, and now releasing a new compilation with Toolroom.
A DJ with over twenty five years experience and a natural ear for picking out a perfect production, Dave navigates Toolroom’s back catalogue with expertise, weaving twenty tunes into a stunning full-length DJ mix. Peppering the mix with classic cuts such as Funkagenda’s Breakwater, Question from Adam K & Soha and Weakness by D-Formation, he switches things up with fresh Toolroom anthems such as Popof & Olivier Giacomotto’s Back Together, Raw Vision by Wehbba and Luigi Rocca’s Es Vedra. He includes Toolroom Knights favourites like René Amesz & Ruell’s Hope and Prok & Fitch’s remix of Bounce To The Beat. Their peak time energy is balanced well with the likes of Matthias Tanzmann’s stripped down remix of Wardance, taken from the Rhythm Distrikt 01 compilation. The track’s deep rhythm and snippets of tribal chants are simply captivating. We were particularly pleased to hear Koen Groeneveld’s CVR included in the mix, having previously appeared on Koen Groeneveld’s Selector: 5, the Toolroom Amsterdam 2010 album, as well as last year’s Toolroom Knights Mixed by Umek. CVR is one of those tracks that always sounds as fresh as it did the first time you heard it. Dave has picked out a superb selection of favourites that span the years.
The Toolroom Selector series of compilations has become an institution in itself, showcasing the range of artists working on and with the label as well as the great variety of releases in its ever increasing back catalogue. Dave Seaman’s Selector: 8 demonstrates his understanding of balance and precision of timing as he merges different styles of house as well as new and old favourites. It’s another must have, so go get it!
Click here to check out the video.
- Funkagenda, Breakwater (Seaman & Stel’s Waveforce Mix)
- Popof & Olivier Giacomotto, Back Together( Original Club Mix)
- Wehbba & Antonio Eudi, The Real Thing (Original Mix)
- Pete Tong, Wardance (Matthias Tanzmann Remix)
- Koen Groeneveld, CVR (Original Club Mix)
- Todd Terry Presents Sound Design, Bounce To The Beat (Prok & Fitch School Of Todd Remix)
- Adam K & Soha, Question (Original Club Mix)
- René Amesz & Ruell, Hope (Original Club Mix)
- Adam Shaw & Tim Weeks, Jesmond (Original Club Mix)
- D-Formation, Weakness (Original Club Mix)
- Luigi Rocca, Es Vedra (Original Club Mix)
- Tiger Stripes Feat. Cevin Fisher, It All Comes Back (Original Mix)
- Ramon Tapia, Believe (Original Club Mix)
- Adam Shaw, Frog Face (Original Club Mix)
- Wehbba, Raw Vision (Original Club Mix)
- Adam Shaw, Far Cry (Original Club Mix)
- Kim Fai, Empty Inside (Original Club Mix)
- René Amesz, Balanceo (Original Club Mix)
- Adam Shaw, Unstuck (Original Club Mix)
- ATFC, Mothership (Original Mix)
- Dave Seaman, Toolroom Records Selector Series: 8 Dave Seaman (DJ Mix)
- Ann Bartholomew